A mixture of various kinds of canned beans, ground beef, bacon, BBQ sauce and molasses. You can also used dried beans (see my notes below). This could even be a main dish. Even our grandsons loved it and they are picky eaters!
- 1 lb. ground beef cooked and drained
- 1 1/2 lb. bacon cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2 cans Bush's Baked Beans country style with bacon
- 2 cans Butter beans Joan of Arc, drained
- 2 cans kidney beans Joan of Arc, drained
- 2 cans lima beans Freshlike, drained
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses or other molasses
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour in a 9x13" pan. This also works well in the crock pot on low for several hours.
I like to use dried beans and I had a lot of beans in my basement, so I used black turtle beans, pinto beans, baby lima beans, and cranberry beans. I started with about 1 1/4 cups of each variety. You can cook them in the crockpot with some water on low until they are done. I would like to try the oven method that I just recently learned about. Place the beans in a dutch oven and cover with water to 1" past the top of the beans. Bake at 350 for an hour and 15 minutes, or until done. When they are finished cooking, drain the extra liquid off, and use as you would the canned beans. Note: I still used Bush's baked beans. These took the place of the canned butter beans, kidney beans and lima beans.