This beef stew is thick with a deliciously flavored broth and lots of meat and veggies. If you plan ahead, it can be cooked in the crockpot after the meat and veggies are browned in pan. If you need to avoid gluten, wheat or soy, substitute a flour that is safe for you and make sure to use Better Than Bouillon organic beef base.
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour Substitute 1/4 cup potato starch if Whole30
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 lb. beef stew meat, cubed
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 1/2-1 sweet onion finely diced
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 T. dried parsley
- 1 pinch dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1 T. Better than Bouillon organic beef base Omit for Whole30 or substitute 4 cups of Whole30 compliant beef broth in place of water and BTB.
- 3 medium potatoes diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- Put flour, salt & pepper in large Ziploc bag. Heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Place meat in bag with the flour mixture and shake until well coated.
- Shake off meat pieces and add them to the oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly browned.
- Add onion to the remaining flour in the bag. Add onion, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, to slightly cook the vegetables, about 5 minutes. Add parsley, thyme, water and Better than Bouillon organic beef base.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes or so.
- Add diced potatoes, carrots and onions. Cook for another 45 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
Share this Recipe