This is just slightly sweet if you use the 1/2 cup of sugar called for the recipe, which is the way we like it. If you like it sweeter, use 2/3 of a cup. Our grandson said it tasted like candy that way!
You don’t want to overcook it, or it won’t be as creamy when it is chilled. I find that 30 minutes of simmering is just right. If serving it warm, you might want to let it sit for a few minutes to thicken up first.
- 6 cups whole milk
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 T. real vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-2 T. butter
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan , except butter. You will want at least a 4 qt. saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, or until the rice is soft and creamy. Stir occasionally to make sure that the mixture doesn't stick to the pan.
- When the rice is tender, add the butter and stir to melt. Remove from heat.
- You can serve this warm or chill it first. I like it just like this. My husband puts cinnamon and sugar on his.
Share this Recipe