The best Cheesy Potatoes I have tried. These are made without the use of commercial canned soups and are completely gluten free.
- 4 T. butter
- 1 sweet onion large, diced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken broth (or another cup of milk)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup cornstarch gluten-free
- 16 oz. sour cream (2 cups)
- 2 1/2 lb. red skinned potatoes cleaned and julienned (no need to peel)
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Grease a lasagna pan. Saute onion in butter in 4 qt. pan. Add salt and pepper as it is cooking. Add milk and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Combine heavy cream and cornstarch. Add to pan and stir until it is blended. It should begin thickening very quickly. Turn off heat and add sour cream and cheese. Spread potatoes in greased lasagna pan. Pour milk sauce over potatoes.
- Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 2 hours or more. Let set for 15 minutes or so and stir before serving.
For the chicken broth, I use about 2 tsp. Better than Bouillon Organic Chicken Base and add water to make 1 cup. This ensures that the recipe remains gluten-free and soy-free.
Share this Recipe