- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3/8 cup light spelt flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/8 cup Better than Bouillon organic chicken base
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Salt to taste I don't add any, because the soup base is salty enough
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 10 cups thinly sliced golden potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese optional
Servings: 9x13" pan
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium low heat. Add onions and cook, covered, until tender. Stir in flour until blended; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in milk, soup base, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in cream. Reheat just until broth is boiling. Add salt if desired. Combine with potatoes and pour into a greased 9x13" baking dish.
- Bake, covered tightly with foil, at 375 for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Remove foil and bake on speed bake for another 45 minutes, until done. Note: If you don't have speed bake, increase the oven temperature to 400. Add cheese to top, if desired, during the final 15 minutes of baking time.
Share this Recipe