Thick and creamy, uses up your leftover baked potatoes. Or make extra potatoes for this soup!
To make this gluten free, just substitute 1/3 cup cornstarch or potato starch mixed with some of the milk in place of the flour. Bring the rest of the milk to a boil, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture and stir to thicken. Or sorghum flour works great for soups and sauces.
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 2/3 cup flour light spelt
- 7 cups milk
- 4 large baking potatoes (baked, cooled, cubed)
- 12 oz. bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheese Cheddar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, melt butter. Cook onions and celery for a few minutes. Stir in flour. Heat and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened. Add potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper, and stir until cheese is melted. Or sprinkle cheese and bacon on top as a garnish.
Although spelt is actually a type of wheat flour, most people with wheat allergies can digest spelt flour with no problem. Obviously, you should not eat spelt if it is a problem for you.
Share this Recipe